Tuesday, August 11, 2009

first red tomato.

Tomatoes have been struggling this year but they are peaking so take advantage of them.
I prefer to freeze instead of can, less work & to me vegetables stay fresher. Good friend of mine who makes lots of goooood salsas shared this idea with me. Cut the core out of the tomatoes and placed them unpeeled (but washed) on a sheet pan and let them freeze.
Once frozen bag them and then take out whenever you need fresh tomatoes to make sauces, soup etc. Let them set for a few minutes and the peels come right off and they taste so much fresher!!! I’ll never peel before I freeze again. Someone just told me they freeze corn still in the husk. Gonna try that one too.

So here is what I call a “Mouth Explosion” Tomato sauce that perks up those so-so dishes. I 1st found this recipe served with cauliflower & it is excellent. I put it with stuff cabbage (which I think is really dull) and made my knees weak. It will work lovely with stuffed peppers, green beans, eggplant, summer squash, soup base and the list goes on & on. So please try this one - IT”S A KEEPER! HEALTHY TOO


ZESTY TOMATO SAUCE

3- TBS. Olive Oil
1- Med- Onion chopped
2- Garlic cloves chopped
4-6 Med. – Large Tomatoes Peeled & chopped
1- TBS- Drained Capers
1- TBS- Honey
Zest & Juice of 1 Lemon
¼ - Crumbled Feta (optional)
¼- pitted Kalamata Olives (optional)


Heat oil in pan & add onion & garlic when hot. Cook until soft & clear. Add tomatoes. Cook until they began to release juices. Cut heat down to simmer & cover. Cook around 15-20mins. Until tomatoes have broken down. Add capers, lemon, & honey. Stir and cut off let sit & pour over the vegetables or combine with whatever you’re trying this sauce with. The Feta & Olives went with the cauliflower dish & were added last with the steamed Cauliflower and run under the broiler until the cheese softened.

No comments:

Post a Comment